Nayland Road, Mile End, Colchester, Essex CO4 5ET

 

 

 

 

       

 

Home

 

Services

 

News

 

Events

 

Leadership

 

Hall Hire

 

History

 

Find us

 

Contact us

 

History

The founder of Methodism, John Wesley, made many visits to Colchester, usually on horseback, between 1758 and 1790. Methodists were active in the area from that time but it was not until 1895 that our present church was built. Since then it has undergone several refurbishments, the last being in 1989.

We are part of the Colchester ‘Circuit’ which has 11 churches and the ‘Circuit’ is in the Bedfordshire, Essex and Hertfordshire District. Our  Minister, Rev Ken Chalmers, has oversight over more churches than ours and so cannot be with us every Sunday. It is the normal practice for Methodist ministers to move Circuits about every five years.

We work closely with our local churches and some years ago formed a Covenant with St Michael’s Anglican Church and St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church.

 

As Mile End has developed we have tried to move with the times, but, whatever the time, we hope there is always a friendly welcome at Mile End Methodist Church!